What is Hospice?
Written by: Emily Downward | Last reviewed: December 2018.
- Hospice care. National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization. Available at https://www.nhpco.org/about/hospice-care. Accessed 10/26/18.
- Choices for care when treatment may not be an option. National Cancer Institute. Available at https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/advanced-cancer/care-choices. Accessed 10/26/18.
- Key hospice messages. National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization. Available at https://www.nhpco.org/press-room/key-hospice-messages. Accessed 10/26/18.
- Gawande, Atul. Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End. New York: Metropolitan Books, Henry Holt and Company, 2014.
- Wright AA, Zhang B, Ray A, Mack JW, Trice E, et al. Associations between end-of-life discussions, patient mental health, medical care near death, and caregiver bereavement adjustment. JAMA. 2008 Oct;300(14):1665-1673.
- Connor SR, Pyenson B, Fitch K, Spence C, Iwasaki K. Comparing hospice and nonhospice patient survival among patients who die within a three-year window. 2007 Mar;33(3):238-46.